Bicycles of Oleron Island
A territory made for cycling
Oleron Island is an ideal destination to discover by bike. The amateurs of outdoor activities will appreciate the large place given to soft modes of transportation on the island, and the multitude of cycling routes that are offered to holidaymakers. That's good timing, the Fief Melin campsite offers you bike rental on Oleron island !
The territories of the Ile d'Oléron and the Marennes basin include in total about 160 km of cycle paths. They cross landscapes and varied environments between forests, coastline and marshes. A specific signage is reserved for two-wheelers, to allow you to visit the island of Oléron and the Marennes basin by taking the most pleasant and interesting routes by bike.
You will be able to add to the program of your stay camping on the island of Oléron walks in the forest of the Saumonards on the Boyardville side, an excursion in the north of the island towards the point and the lighthouse of Chassiron or a bicycle ride in the marshes located in the south of the island, around Château d'Oléron. The territory of the island is arranged to favour the practice of cycling, many picnic areas punctuate the marked out itineraries.
The very flat relief of the island is also particularly favorable to bicycle travel: cyclists of all levels can enjoy it. The bike paths of the island of Oleron are marked out and are accessible to families with children, even very young ones. The numerous bike renters on the island also offer equipment such as bike-followers, trailers and carts, as well as electrically-assisted VTCs for leisurely rides. The network of developed and signposted trails on the island and in the Marennes basin is growing year after year, to offer more and more space for bikes and possibilities for thematic itineraries. Routes of all levels are thus proposed: alongside the family trails, circuits adapted to the practice of sports cycling are also indicated.
Itineraries on the island and in the Marennes basin
On Oleron Island several marked circuits of different levels can be considered as essential for the points of interest they allow to discover or for the beauty of the landscapes they cross :
- The large circuit of the viaduct to Saint-Denis-d'Oléron crosses the whole island from south to north, passing through the marshes, Dolus-d'Oléron, Saint-Pierre and Saint-Georges-d'Oléron.
- From Boyardville to Saint-Denis, the track follows the coast and crosses the beautiful forest of the Saumonards.
- Around Saint-Pierre-d'Oléron, a small circuit goes around the typical hamlets to the port of La Cotinière.
- On the west coast, a magnificent circuit links Saint-Trojan to the Chassiron lighthouse along the forest and then the coast.
On the other side of the Viaduct, facing the Ile d'Oléron, the Marennes basin is crossed by the Velodyssey. Two steps can be followed :
- Marennes-Royan, a bicycle ride of about 3 hours to cover 45 kilometers.
- Rochefort-Marennes, a 37-kilometre trip that takes about 2.5 hours.
These two tours are the opportunity to discover the precious heritage of the Marennes basin, from Fort Louvois built at the foot of the island's viaduct to the bell tower of the church of Marennes, passing by the classified site of the citadel of Brouage, or the tide mill of Saint-Just-Luzac.